It’s that time of year again for back yard barbeques! I don’t know about you guys, but I love it and I am so happy that the weather has been warmer. I want you all to enjoy this weather and spend time with your friends and family over some yummy summer-time cookouts, but here are some tips to build a better barbeque!
1. Aim for lean meats. Chicken, without the skin, is a great lean protein, but you can also grill burgers. Just be sure that you choose the ground beef with 7%, or less, fat. This will help you to avoid all of that yucky, saturated, artery clogging fat.
2. Serve whole grain buns. There are a lot of tasty whole grain buns out there, so give it a shot!
3. Pay attention to your sauce. Mayo is actually a healthy fat, but if you’re watching your calories, you may want to pass and try mustard instead. If you are diabetic, watch the sugar in your BBQ sauce.
4. Top your burger/sandwich with veggies! Yes, pile it high with lettuce, tomato, and any other vegetable that suits you. Avoid things like fried onion rings and cheese.
5. Consider kabobs! This can be a great option that is healthy and super delicious! Use vegetables such as peppers, onions, tomatoes, and potato wedges. Also, you could try orange slices or pineapple chunks. Uses meats such as shrimp, chicken, or lean beef. Try going to www.allrecipes.com and look for a delicious and easy marinade. Your taste buds may just love the break from the traditional cheeseburger.
6. Throw together a colorful salad. Instead of potato salad, consider a spinach salad with walnuts and strawberries. Another option is to make a lovely fruit salad with berries that are now coming into season. No need to add any sugar or dressing to a fruit salad, the fruits are very sweet on their own!
7. Change the focus of your get-together. After everyone enjoys their food, put it away and enjoy some friendly sports together. Try soccer, badminton, volley ball, or flag football. Not only will this keep everyone from continuing to mindlessly eat, but everyone will get some exercise AND have fun spending time together.
8. Consider this BBQ makeover…