Monday, December 19, 2011

Jicama

In an effort to try new fruits and vegetables, I recently made a Mexican salad that contained jicama. Before making the salad, I had never tried the Mexican potato, jicama. I am happy to report that the salad was quite tasty and the jicama really added a nice little crunch. Jicama, as I mentioned, is a Mexican potato found in the produce aisle of the grocery store. Unfortunately, it is quite expensive. All you have to do is peel the jicama and slice it up. There is no cooking necessary! Jicama can be used in salads for a nice, low-calorie crunch or eaten in slices (julienne) dipped in salsa. My almost-three-year-old would not try the salad that I made, but he did enjoy eating sliced jicama dipped in salsa. He called them "french fries" and has asked for them again since that night. I am pleased to spend the expensive price tag on the jicama if he will happily enjoy a vegetable! Although jicama is not the most nutrient dense vegetable out there, it is a nice source of fiber and Vitamin C. Another reason that I like this vegetable so much is that it really is a great way to add an interesting flair to salad rather than using high-calorie toppings. I wish that I could post the recipe that I tried; however, I'm not sure about the copyright laws. Try searching allrecipes.com for some recipes of your own!

2 comments:

  1. The Jicama was very good (thanks for sharing) I liked the taste and the crunch it added to the salad. I put too much onion in my salad so I will cut back on that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete